From the August 1998 issue of Catholic Vision, a publication of the Diocese of Tucson:


Xanat Andrade is spending a year in the state of Chiapas in southern Mexico as part of a year of social service, a requirement for receiving her medical degree. The 24-year-old native of Monterrey in northern Mexico grew up in Naucalpan, a northwest suburb of Mexico City. She has nearly completed her studies in medical school at the Xochimilco campus of the Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana in Mexico City.

In letters to her parents, Antonio and Patricia Andrade, Xanat provides a glimpse of what life is like in the troubled region. The municipality in which she serves is the same one where 45 villagers were gunned down Dec. 22, 1997. It was the single worst act of violence since the beginning in 1994 of the civil uprising in the Mexican state of Chiapas.

The following are excerpts of letters Xanat shared with her parents and, ultimately, with Bishop Moreno. Catholic Vision now shares them with you.

January 1998

Mom and Dad:

I am now in Ocosingo, and it is very hot. I've been here in Chiapas for 16 days and I already miss Mexico but when I go back to Tazas I'm going to be too busy to be thinking about Mexico.

A funny thing occurred to me in Tazas. The day we arrived they informed us that the army wanted to come in to Tazas; so if we were to hear the distress signal (a rocket), it meant that the army had arrived and that we had to go to the security house. Joél told me not to hide in the security house because if they were to find me surrounded by locals, it could mean trouble for me, so I had to stay in the health center.

That left me a little worried. Last Sunday the 18th at 7 a.m., I heard three rockets. I got up fast, got dressed and sat by the window looking for the soldiers. At 9 a.m. my health promoter arrived and I asked him what had happened. It ended up that there was going to be a wedding that day and the rockets were part of the festivities! They had told me (to listen for) one rocket. When I heard three, I thought it meant war!

Since there is no electricity in Las Tazas, it is impossible to have a refrigerator and you can't even have a cold drink in those hot days. On Jan. 17 I went out to the river with Héctor, Adrián, Gabriela and Alfredo. Héctor rowed for about 1 1/2 hours and then we walked for about 45 minutes to a community where they have a gas fridge and we bought two very cold drinks. Honestly, I'm not sure if it was worth the long walk under the hot sun and through mountains and grass just to get a couple of cold drinks, but at least it was a nice adventure. At the end I was covered by mostacillas (some kind of bug like ticks a few millimeters long) and I had to take a cold bath at 7 p.m. That night I slept like a rock.

I think I'm going to have a great time in Las Tazas and I don't regret anymore that I resigned from San Carlos Hospital. Besides, I still keep in touch with the doctors at San Carlos Hospital because it is there where I have to refer my patients if they have to be hospitalized.

By the way, Elesban says that in December he sent me a letter and it got returned to him claiming that this was a conflict area. So he sent it again. I hope that doesn't happen with the one you sent me, even though I doubt it, since everything is calmer now.

I love you and miss you a lot.
With love,


* * * * *

Polhó, Chiapas
February 21, 1998

Mom and Dad:

I have been here in Polhó for almost two weeks and a lot has happened. People here live in deplorable conditions; their houses are made of plastic and they sleep on the dirt with just a bedspread. Some of the camps have water but most of them don't; people have to walk to get it. All of the camps have electricity; (10,000 people live in Polhó).

Since I arrived here, I have seen three national convoys from the FZLN (Zapatista National Liberation Front) and just a few days ago, some from the international convoy arrived. They bring food, clothes and medicine. While they are here, they help the Tzotziles build their homes, to get water and to stand guard at the side of the road to stop the soldiers from entering the camps.

I've only done two home visits, but by going I realize how bad the living conditions are. Now, when I see a young patient in the consulting room who has worms, I sent the same medical treatment to everyone in the family.

I am staying in a very small place at the clinic, with a sheet for a curtain since is on the way to the kitchen. My bed is about 17 inches wide, is made of wood, and it doesn't have a mattress. I fell down three times, I think I'm going to ask for a bigger one. I eat rice and beans every day (it is the only thing they eat), but since I have my stock of food, I get some tuna fish or something else and that way I don't have to eat so much rice and beans.

Other than that, I am fine. There are days when I feel lonely and sad but I think it's normal to feel that way. This community has been the hardest for me to adjust to. I have been here for two weeks and I still don't feel adjusted. I miss Las Tazas a lot.

Well, good bye now. I love you and miss you.


* * * * *

Polhó, Chiapas
March 10, 1998

Mom and Dad,

Hi. How are you? My new partner Mercedes, the nurse, is like you Mom. She likes everything clean and organized. So, we have cleaned the clinic and the kitchen the best we could. She still isn't satisfied with the bathroom, but little by little we'll do something about it.

I don't sleep in the little bed anymore, I have a "normal" bed now and even though it doesn't have a mattress I think it's better than the other one. Mercedes and I share a room (with a door.) We've done the best we could, and with some pictures hanging on the walls it feels more like a home.

As for my work, I haven't been seeing patients because the weather has been real bad, foggy and rainy and the people don't come. I've already started going to the camps and next Saturday I am going to go to camp #8 which is located two hours away from here by foot, but I have to do it because they really need me.

I'm beginning to like it better here. I feel better about being here and even though I haven't been seeing patients, I have been very busy tidying up the clinic and selecting medicines from the storage room.

I have managed to convince the local president to allowed Dr. Claudia Meza, who is my coordinator in San Cristóbal, to see female patients. She works in a hospital, in San Cristóbal, for Indian women, and that is very much needed here. She had tried to do it before, but she couldn't convince the authorities to allow her to work on weekends. I spoke with one of the people from the council, but I didn't ask him, I informed him that she was going to start coming every Sunday, starting next Sunday, and surprisingly enough they accepted.

Mom, I've already started knitting but I haven't got much time and I haven't even finished the first blue square. Well, I've got to go -- there is a guy from Argentina who wants "to ask a few questions" regarding our work.

We'll see you soon. Hugs and kisses.



* * * * *

Polhó, Chiapas
May 10, 1998


Happy Mother's Day!

I arrived in Polhó on May 1st. I went to bed around 10 p.m. looking forward to a restful night to start early the next day, around 6 a.m., but my sleep was interrupted around midnight when Dr. José Luis came to inform us about the "red" alert and that the soldiers and judicials were about to come any minute. Joél made me pack my bag with the "LEAST possible" (He took out my hair spray, some pants, batteries, lotions, and a lot of other things he said we wouldn't need in the mountains, and even without all that, he said it was too heavy.) We stayed up until 3:30 a.m., but since nothing was happening and having already had the same experience last April 11th, I decided to go to sleep with my clothes on to be ready just in case.

After that, the following days were very tense. At night we can't even rest. I go to sleep but my bag is ready (with very few things now) and my clothes are also ready so I just have to change quickly and leave. On the 6th, there was another threat, but I was so tired (I had seen 46 patients) that I fell sleep. The next day there was no bus or taxi, but there was a Corona beer truck going by. We asked the driver for a ride and fortunately he took us to San Cristóbal, (after taking us through a community of shacks to make some deliveries.) We sat in the back on top of the empty boxes of beer and it was kind of fun. The best part was that the soldiers didn't question us much. Coming back to Polhó I took a taxi (20 pesos) and the soldiers gave me a hard time. They went through my bag, but it wasn't bad.

As for work, we have been loaded with patients, and now MORE because I'm alone (the doctor took a few days off and he won't be back until the 21st). Today I saw 76 patients!

Today I also admitted my first patient, a four year old girl with some form of asthmatic bronchitis and a very serious respiratory problem. I'm a little scared, or better yet VERY scared, because it is a big responsibility but unfortunately they don't want to take her to San Cristóbal, so we hope everything goes well. I'm trying everything I know and I can only hope she responds to the treatment.

Besides all that, I am doing well and even though I miss you all a lot.I'm adapting to the community and it isn't so hard to be here anymore.

See you soon.



* * * * *


Xanat Andrade está pasando un año en el estado de Chiapas en el sur de México como parte de su año de servicio social, un requisito que debe llenar para poder recibir su licenciatura médica. Esta jóven de 24 años, natural de Monterrey en el norte de México, se crió en Naucalpan, un suburbio ubicado al noroeste de la Cuidad de México. Ella ya casi ha finalizado sus estudios en la facultad de medicina en la sucursal Xochimilco de la Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana en la Cuidad de México.

En cartas dirigidas a sus padres, Antonio y Patricia Andrade, Xanat da una idea de como se vive en esa problemática región. El municipio, en la cual ella se encuentra haciendo su servicio, es la misma donde 45 lugareños fueron asesinados el pasado 22 de Diciembre de 1997. Este fue el peor acto de violencia desde el comienzo en 1994 del levantamiento civil en el estado mexicano de Chiapas.

A continuación, extractos de algunas cartas de Xanat dirigidas a sus padres y compartidas, finalmente, con el Obispo Moreno. Catholic Vision las comparte ahora con ustedes.

Enero de 1998

Mamá y Papá:

Ahora estoy en Ocosingo, y está haciendo mucho calor. Llevo aquí en Chiapas 16 días y ya extraño mucho a México pero cuando regrese a Tazas voy a estar demasiado ocupada para ponerme a pensar en México. Me pasó algo gracioso en Tazas. El día que llegamos se nos informó parecía que el ejército quería entrar en Tazas; así que si escuchábamos la señal (un cohete), quería decir que el ejército había llegado y nos teníamos que ir a la casa de seguridad. Joél me dijo que no me escondiera en la casa de seguridad porque si me llegaba a encontrar el ejército ahí rodeada de Zapatistas, me podía ir mal; así que yo me quedé en la casa de salud.

Eso me dejó un poco nerviosa. El domingo 18 a las 7 de la mañana escuché tres cohetes; me levanté rapidísimo y me vestí y me quedé asomada a la ventana buscando a los soldados. A las 9 llegó mi promotor de salud y le pregunté qué había pasado, y resulta ser que había boda ese día y los cohetes formaban parte del festejo. ¡Me habían dicho un cohete y cuando escuché tres me imaginé que quería decir guerra!

Como en Tazas no hay electricidad, lógicamente no se puede tener refrigerador y no te puedes ni tomar un refresco bien frío en los días de calor. El 17 de Enero fui con Héctor, Adrián, Gabriela y Alfredo a dar una vuelta en el río. Héctor remó como por una hora y media y luego caminamos otros 45 minutos a una comunidad donde hay un refrigerador a gas y nos compramos dos refrescos bien fríos. La verdad no se si valió la pena caminar bajo el sol a través de montes y hierbas solo por unos refrescos fríos, pero por lo menos fue una bonita aventura. Terminé toda llena de mostacillas (animales como garrapatas de unos cuantos milímetros) y tuve que llegar a bañarme a las 7 de la noche con agua fría. Esa noche dormí como una piedra.

Creo que la voy a pasar bien en las Tazas y ya no me arrepiento de haber renunciado al Hospital San Carlos. Además sigo en contacto con los doctores del San Carlos porque es ahí donde tengo que referir a mis pacientes si tienen que ser hospitalizados.

A propósito, Elesban dijo que en Diciembre me escribió una carta y que se la devolvieron diciendo que era zona de conflicto. Así que la volvió a mandar. Espero que no pase lo mismo con la que tú mandaste aunque no creo, ya está todo más tranquilo.

Los quiero mucho y extraño.

Con cariño,


* * * * *

Polhó, Chiapas
21 de Febrero, 1998

Mamá y Papá:

Llevo aquí en Polhó ya casi dos semanas y he pasado muchas cosas. La gente aquí vive en condiciones deplorables; sus casas son de plástico y duermen sobre la tierra con un cobertor. Algunos de los campamentos tienen agua pero el la mayoría no y tienen que caminar para poder ir a traer agua. Todos tienen electricidad (10,000 personas viven en Polhó).

Desde que llegué aquí, he visto tres caravanas nacionales del FZLN (Frente Zapatista de Liberación Nacional) y hace apenas unos días llegaron los de la caravana internacional. Traen alimentos, ropa y medicamentos. Mientras están aquí, ayudan a los tzotziles a construir casas, a entubar agua y a hacer guardias a la orilla de la carretera para evitar que entren los soldados.

Solo he ido a dos visitas domiciliarias, así es como me di cuenta de las condiciones en que están viviendo. Cuando llega a la consulta un niño con lombrices, le mando tratamiento a todos los de la familia.

Estoy viviendo en un espacio muy pequeño en la clínica con una sábana que tapa, ya que está en el paso a la cocina. Mi cama mide 17 pulgadas de ancho y es de madera sin colchón. Ya me caí tres veces y creo que voy a pedir que me la cambien por una más grande. Todos los días como frijol y arroz (que es lo único que comen) y como traigo mi despensa, saco atún o algo así para comer menos frijol y arroz.

Aparte de eso estoy bien. Hay días que me siento muy sola y triste pero creo que es normal. Esta ha sido la comunidad más difícil para adaptarme. Ya llevo casi dos semanas y no me siento adaptada. Extraño mucho Las Tazas.

Bueno, ya me despido.

Los quiere y extraña:


* * * * *

Polhó, Chiapas
10 de Marzo, 1998

Mamá y Papá:

Hola. ¿Cómo están? Mi nueva compañera, la enfermera Mercedes es casi como tú, Mamá. Le gusta todo en orden y limpio. Entre las dos hemos limpiado la clínica y la cocina lo mejor posible. Lo que todavía no la tiene satisfecha es el baño, pero poco a poco.

Ya no duermo más en una cama pequeña, tengo ahora una cama "normal" y aunque no tiene colchón creo que es mejor que la que tenía. Mercedes y yo compartimos un cuarto (con puerta). Lo hemos arreglado lo mejor posible y con algunas fotos colgadas en las paredes ya se siente más como un hogar.

En cuanto a la consulta, ya no he tenido tanto porque los días han estado muy fríos y con neblina y las personas no vienen. Ya empecé a salir a los campamentos y el próximo sábado voy a ir al campamento #8 que queda a dos horas de camino (a pie) pero lo voy a hacer porque me necesitan mucho.

Ya me está gustando estar más aquí. Me siento más a gusto y aunque no he dado mucha consulta estos días, he tenido mucho trabajo arreglando la clínica y seleccionando medicamentos de las bodegas.

He logrado convencer al presidente de aquí que permita la entrada de la Dra. Claudia Meza, que es mi coordinadora de San Cristóbal para que dé consulta a las mujeres ya que ella trabaja en un hospital en San Cristóbal de atención a la mujer indígena, y aquí se necesita mucho. Ella ya había venido pero no pudo convencer a las autoridades para que se le permitiera trabajar los fines de semana. Yo hablé con uno del consejo pero no le pregunté, sino que le informé que estarían viniendo cada domingo, para empezar, a partir del próximo domingo, y sorprendentemente aceptaron.

Mamá, ya empecé con mi tejido pero la verdad es que no he tenido mucho tiempo y no he podido terminar ni el primer cuadrito azul. Bueno, me despido -- hay un argentino que quiere "hacernos unas preguntas" con respecto a nuestro trabajo. Nos vemos pronto. Besos y abrazos.

Los quiere:


* * * * *

Polhó, Chiapas
10 de Mayo, 1998


¡Feliz Día de las Madres!

Llegué a Polhó el primero de Mayo. Esa noche me acosté a dormir como a las 10 con toda intención de descansar para comenzar el día a las 6 de la mañana con todas las ganas del mundo pero mi sueño se vio interrumpido como a las 12 de la noche cuando el Dr. José Luis llegó a informar que había alerta "roja" y que se esperaba la entrada de los soldados y judiciales en cualquier momento. Joél me hizo hacer mi maleta con lo "MENOS" posible (sacó de mi mochila mi fijador de pelo, unos pantalones, pilas, cremas, y otras tantas cosas que dijo que no iba a necesitar en el monte, y aún así dijo que estaba pesada). Permanecimos en vela hasta las 3:30 pero al ver que no sucedía nada (y teniendo la experiencia del pasado 11 de Abril) decidí dormirme con la ropa puesta y todo listo para levantarme y salir. Después de ese susto, los días siguientes fueron un poco tensos. Por las noches ya no se descansa, yo duermo con una maleta lista (ahora sí muy liviana) y ropa lista para sólo levantarme, cambiarme rápido e irme. En el día 6 hubo otra amenaza pero esa noche estaba tan cansada (había dado 46 consultas) que me dormí aunque no descansé muy bien.

Al día siguiente no había combi o taxi. Cuando pasó el camión de cerveza Corona le pedimos aventón y afortunadamente nos llevó hasta San Cristóbal (después de habernos paseado por una comunidad de chamulas haciendo unos repartos). Nos tocó irnos atrás encima de las cajas (vacías) de cerveza y fue divertido. Lo mejor de todo fue que los soldados no nos cuestionaron mucho. De regreso a Polhó me fui en un taxi colectivo ($20) y ahí sí me molestaron los soldados y me hicieron enseñarles mi mochila, pero nada grave.

En cuanto al trabajo, hemos estado saturados de consulta, y ahora MAS porque estoy sola (el Dr. salió para sus días libres y no regresa hasta el 21). ¡Tan sólo hoy atendí 76 pacientes!

También hoy interné a mi primer paciente, una niña de cuatro años con una bronquitis asmatiforme y una dificultad respiratoria bastante seria. Estoy un poco asustada ó más bien MUY asustada, porque es una responsabilidad muy grande pero no quieren que se la lleve a San Cristóbal, así que esperemos que todo salga bien. Estoy poniendo todos mis conocimientos a prueba y sólo espero que responda al tratamiento.

Fuera de todo esto, me encuentro bien y aunque los extraño mucho, me estoy adaptando a la comunidad bastante bien y no me pesa tanto estar aquí.

Hasta pronto. Los quiere: